Sunday, February 18, 2018

Crisis - an editorial


Editorial...

We find ourselves separated into two camps, with little or no communication between the two. While everyone agrees that something must be done, the amazing divergence in opinions, each admitting no point of view other than it's own, is evidence of a crisis in our democracy.

Implicit biases, gender norming, ethno-centric thought; the list goes on. These divergent opinions are held by my friends and people that I greatly respect; I find myself unable to discuss current events in mixed company. N.B. – "Mixed Company" is defined as people other than my wife.

When we can no longer meet on the public commons, whether that is in person or on social media, we enter a philosophical echo chamber, where we only speak with people with our own views (rightly or wrongly), our own biases, our own lacunae.

There's a marvelously sad article in the Wall Street Journal of February 17, written by Professor Amy Wax of the University of Pennsylvania Law School (page C-1). It's marvelous in that it calls Academia to account (and justly so), but it's sad because I see that Professor Wax's charges against her fellows, are to a very large extent, accurate. N.B. - Although I'm attending law school (and loving it), I do not profess to be part of the academy, and none of my opinions reflect those of my fellow students, professors, or my school. I'm just a destroyer sailor that wandered in, sat down, and hasn’t been asked to leave yet.

I read Ms. Wax's op-ed, co-authored with Larry Alexander of the University of San Diego Law School, with interest when it was originally released. I found it challenging, largely because the viewpoint was almost entirely in line with the views I held being raised in South Texas, and carried into military service.

The primary charge seems to be that Ms. Wax's op-ed states that the orthodox view of our parents (grandparents to you under thirty), may in fact, be correct. Get married before you have kids. Stay married if possible. Attend the church of your choice. Serve your country. Vote.

Some of her peers are demanding her head. Literally.


Don’t agree with me? Fine. I still respect you. Let's meet at the commons and discuss the issues like adults, taking it for granted that both of us want our society, our people, and our country to be better. The only ground rule is that we start as friends, and part the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment